Location: Quetzaltenango • Cost: $2595 • Age: 16-19 • Airport: MIA

Video Creator: Nathan Covey


OVERVIEW

Guatemala is located in Central America and is bordered by the Pacific Ocean, the Caribbean Sea, Honduras, and Belize. The Mayan civilization flourished in Guatemala and the evidence of their establishment is scattered throughout the country. Guatemala is a Spanish-speaking country with a population of 16.91 million.


COUNTRY CHALLENGES

According to USAid, there are more than two million youth in Guatemala that don't have access to education, which hinders their ability to gain skills to enter the workforce. Of these youth, 600,000 live in rural areas. According to the World Bank, 59.3% of Guatemala currently lives below the poverty line with 23% living in extreme poverty. Food and housing insecurity are consistent challenges for Guatemala. 

 SIGHTSEEING

The country houses more than 30 volcanoes, many of which are still active today. The capital, Guatemala City, has a population of about one million people, making it the most populous city in Central America. Spanish is the official language with 60% of the people speaking it. The other 40% speak a Mayan language native to Guatemala.


TEMPLE

Guatemala is blessed with two beautiful temples, and you’ll have the opportunity to serve in the larger of the two – the Quetzaltenango Temple. 


GUATEMALA FACTS

When you visit Guatemala, you’ll experience bright blue waters, beautiful rolling hills, volcanoes, and indigenous villages. These will all surround you as you zipline, kayak, swim, and hike around Lake Atitlan. 

 

*Note: All info subject to final adjustment.

 

HEFY

(801) 900-4111

307 W 200 S
Suite 5002
Salt Lake City, UT 84101

info@hefy.org

Click here to make donations requested by HEFY builders

Login Form

If you don't remember your password, please click the link below and check your inbox to see if you have an "Account Details" email from HEFY. If you can't find the information there, email us at info@hefy.org or give us a ring at 801-900-4111!

Forgot your password?